Thursday, August 20, 2009

Marrying an Engineer


Rhys is an engineer. I never knew what an engineer was until I met Rhys and even then I initially associated engineers with the railroad and couldn't tell you the difference between an engineer and an architect (Note: if you want to upset an engineer very quickly, just ask the difference between an engineer/architect or say something about it being basically the same thing - endless entertainment).

Engineers have certain... characteristics. One of my favourite quotes comes from Memoirs of a Geisha and goes something like "Never ask an engineer how something works because he WILL tell you."

Anyway I took Rhys along to the cake tasting (deciding at the last minute that he could come, as I was considering keeping it a surprise). Anyway the awesome "caker" was saying he'd wanted some 3D models of cakes to use as templates, saying that some graphics people had said it was not possible. Rhys being Rhys, told the cake artist that it would in fact be reeeeally easy. Came home and put together about 5 models usings the measurements for our cake as a starting point (round - 3 tiers).

The Cake Man said he is very CLEVER. lol.

3 comments:

  1. great cake from CAD drawing.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I can totally relate I'm marrying an engineer to, and early on in the first few dates I asked so many questions cos I had no idea what they did either! So can you get a discount off your cake now? Maybe he could do a few more and pay for the cake that way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCPC - Imagine the cakes of the future! Designed on computers...

    Elissa - You're marrying an engineer?! Then you'll totally get it! I'm secretly hoping for a small discount but FH really did do it for fun.

    ReplyDelete